Woodley comfortable fighting again in November

Monday, September 10, 2018

Tyron Woodley crushed Darren Till in the main event of UFC 228, and with that, interim champion Colby Covington lost his belt - he had been offered the fight, but declined. Till had had problems making weight in two of the past four fights, so Kamaru Usman weighed in as well, as an alternate. However, it is widely believed that Covington is next for Woodley.

At the post-fight press conference, the champ said be thought Covington blew his chance, but would take the fight if the UFC insisted.

“He had a chance,” said Woodley, as transcribed by Marc Raimondi for MMA Fighting. “He let Darren Till go out there and take his whooping for him. He tried to pause and tried to wait for a bigger pay-per-view, because his eyes got big. My thing is, I’m gonna fight anybody. I’m the best in the world, anybody they put in front of me, they’re gonna get beat up. If it’s Colby Covington, if it’s [Kamaru] Usman, if it’s [middleweight champ] Robert Whittaker. Whoever they want me to fight, we’re gonna do it.”

“I’m not saying I am gonna fight him, because I don’t feel like he deserves my platform right now. He had his chance to be here. He b****ed out, if you want to be honest and frank. He talked all this crap and when he got in the hot seat, the second he won that belt, I said, ‘Let’s come get this smoke.’ He got quiet. Instagram accounts got taken down for a brief moment and he didn’t say nothing.

“I think it’s an embarrassment to the sport and if that’s the next person that’s gotta get the work, you don’t have to do much to get me up for that fight. We’ll see.”

After who, the big question is when.

“The more I fight, the better I get,” said Woodley. “And the most comfortable I get, the more confident I get. So I want to stay as active as possible. If November is a date they’re looking for a main event, I think they got their guy.”